Strength to Strength
About the program
Strength to Strength is a circuit-based exercise program led by a physiotherapist. The classes are tailored for clients with chronic musculoskeletal conditions such as osteoporosis, chronic heart disease and chronic pain conditions.
To be eligible
Clients must be aged over 18 with a confirmed diagnosis of one of the following:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Low back pain
- Chronic pain condition such as fibromyalgia
- Chronic heart disease
What you can expect
- Eligible clients will have a one-on-one initial assessment with a physiotherapist.
- The physiotherapist will record baseline measures and design an exercise program for the individual.
- Clients accepted into the program must agree to attend at least one exercise session per week on an ongoing basis.
The sessions are small groups of up to five participants and last for one hour. The sessions include:
- A warm up
- Cardio training
- Strength training
- Balance and proprioception training and;
- Stretch and relaxation.
How to access the program
Access to the program is through a GP referral or self-referral. Referral forms can be downloaded in PDF or Best Practice format here.
What it costs
In order to access the initial assessment free of charge, GPs need to refer the client as a Medicare funded client. Clients who self-refer will need to pay an initial fee of $65.00. Clients with private health cover may be eligible for a rebate.
Strength to Strength group sessions are $15 per session which is payable on the day.