On average, one in four Australians is affected by anxiety at some stage in their lifetime. Overcoming anxiety can include a number of methods like medication, lifestyle changes, exercise, and meditation.
One approach to help with recovery is to take a look at your diet and make some simple changes where possible. By changing the types of food you eat you can help reduce feelings of anxiety and help improve your overall wellbeing. Take a look at the list below for some different food options that can improve your diet…
- Wholegrain foods like pasta and bread
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Avocados – great for salads and as a spread instead of butter
- Leafy greens like spinach – spinach is rich in magnesium, which is a natural ‘chill pill’
- Dark chocolate – without added sugars or milk, dark chocolate can improve your mood and reduce the stress hormone that causes symptoms of anxiety
- Seaweed – a great gluten-free option
In addition to choosing options that you like from the list above, why not try challenging your taste-buds with something you wouldn’t normally consider?
Don’t forget to monitor what you are drinking when evaluating your diet. Cut out alcohol and sugary drinks and replace with water or herbal tea to target anxiety symptoms.
Challenge yourself to try a new healthy recipe each week using some of the foods listed above and take fresh fruit to work or school each day as a healthy snack. These small changes in your daily diet can help you better manage and overcome anxiety – plus you’ll enjoy the many other benefits of a healthier diet.
Find out more about how Black Swan Health’s counselling services can help you with your anxiety today.
For more help and advice from an Accredited Practising Dietitian, contact our Dietetics team today.
Share this Post