About the program
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) includes:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart attack
- Peripheral vascular disease – disease of the blood vessels supplying other parts of the body
CVD has a common set of modifiable risk factors:
- Unhealthy diet
- Lack of physical activity
These factors can lead to obesity, high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes and increase the chances of developing CVD and/or contribute to the deterioration of existing CVD.
Black Swan Health provides coordinated, multidisciplinary care for clients at risk of or with cardiovascular disease and will guide and support clients to make changes to improve their health.
To be eligible
Clients need to be aged over 18 and be diagnosed with one or more of the following:
- Ischaemic Heart Disease (IHD)
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Myocardial Infarction
- High blood pressure
- A coronary stent, coronary artery bypass graft, angioplasty, valve replacement, or a pacemaker.
What you can expect
- Free individual dietitian assessment
Our dietitians will help to identify health needs and develop treatment plans. They can also provide lifestyle advice on diet and exercise.
- Free six-week lifestyle education program
Our free six-week Health and Wellness Program is run by dietitians and diabetes educators. The group program covers protecting your heart, healthy eating, weight management, goal setting and exercise advice. Find out more here.
- Offer to join low-cost Strength to Strength exercise program
Strength to Strength is a circuit-based exercise program led by one of our physiotherapists and offers affordable strength training for clients. Clients will be assessed by a physiotherapist before joining the program. The sessions have a maximum of five participants per group. Find out more here.
- Three, six and 12 month reviews
Clients are offered reviews at three, six and 12 month intervals. Where necessary, additional telephone reviews are conducted as well.
Access to the program from a GP referral or other health care professional.
- If possible the referral to the dietitian to be accompanied by a Referral form for Individual Allied Health Services under Medicare for patients with a chronic medical condition and complex care needs for eligible clients. However, if the client is not eligible for a TCA we will accept the referral and the client will not be charged a gap fee.
How to access it
GPs and other health care professionals can refer to the program. Referral forms can be downloaded at http://www.blackswanhealth.com.au/referralforms/
We prefer referrals to the dietitian to be accompanied by a Referral form for Individual Allied Health Services under Medicare for patients with a chronic medical condition and complex care needs for eligible clients.
However, if the client is not eligible for a Team Care Arrangement (TCA) we will accept the referral and the client will not be charged a gap fee.